I was fortunate to learn early on that “success is a letdown, but the thrill is in the pursuit.”
If you don’t believe me, once you hit that new rank or income level, it may feel good for a while but after a short time you’ll get used to it and you’ll want to achieve something new. Your happiness and satisfaction will never last. That is why we live in an “upgrade” culture. We want more and more but unfortunately, that thirst is never satisfied and leaves us feeling empty.
You’ll always find yourself disappointed and unhappy if your happiness depends on achieving a goal because you’ll soon get tired of that goal and the achievement itself will mean little to you. It’s just like that brand new car you purchased or your current title and position. Chances are you were super happy when you achieved them but currently it contributes little to your daily happiness.
The wise know that happiness and success come from being present and aware of being in the journey of life. This also applies to your MLM journey.Happiness and success come from being present and aware of being in the journey of life. Click To Tweet
Obstacles and challenges are guaranteed in any business and there will be times you will want to quit. But it’s during these breaking points that your breakthroughs will happen. I’ve experienced many of these breaking points in my MLM career where I was either stuck at a rank, or my income was not growing. What kept me going was constantly reminding myself to enjoy the moment because one day I knew I would be sharing my story on stage. The tough times would only make my journey and story better. That motivated me to keep going. I understood that being able to go through the challenge is the real success and not the goal itself.It’s during these breaking points that your breakthroughs will happen. Click To Tweet Being able to go through the challenge is the real success and not the goal itself. Click To Tweet
Every time I was discouraged and felt that success was far away, I would remind myself that “success is a letdown, but the thrill is in the pursuit.” I would focus on enjoying the moment because it was that tough moment that was defining me and making me a success.Success is a letdown, but the thrill is in the pursuit Click To Tweet It is the tough moment that defines me and makes me a success. Click To Tweet
Awareness and appreciation of whatever you are going through determines how successful you are.
Here are 3 examples of situations where I reminded myself to appreciate the moment and be grateful.
1) Struggling to Sponsor and Grow My Team
I still remember when it took me 42 people to recruit my first distributor. I also remember when I was stuck earning only $400 – $500 a week and working hard to hit the $1,000 a week rank. When things seemed hopeless, I always reminded myself to be grateful, because no matter how tough things were, it was still way better than before I discovered network marketing, when I was working paycheck to paycheck. Even though I was stuck, I was still more successful than the old “Simon” who didn’t know anything about passive income and the importance of starting a business.
2) Grateful for Downlines
There was also this time in 2008 when I opened up the Philippines market in my company and the downlines would “bug” me nonstop to do meetings and trainings. My entire day from 10 am to 2 am the next day was filled with doing presentations and 1-on-1 trainings. I would do this 7 days a week.
There were many times I would get tired of talking to downlines, but I would always remind myself to be grateful. I recalled the time when I had no one and was almost begging anyone to join my team. Now that I had a team of tens of thousands I appreciated them because I would never want to go back to when no one wanted to show up for my trainings. Never forget where you came from!Never forget where you came from! Click To Tweet
3) Grateful to Be Asked to Speak
Later on in the journey, I would find myself tired from an endless speaking schedule at my company convention and events. Entire days consisted of speaking at one training or another. I would motivate myself by being grateful and recall how happy I was when I first got to speak on stage and how hard I had to work to earn the opportunity to train in front of thousands. Never take what you currently have for granted.Never take what you currently have for granted. Click To Tweet
Gratitude is another useful way to make you live in the present, appreciate the journey, and keep you motivated. I have a specific daily gratitude routine that you can apply.
Start of the day – Do this the first thing when you wake up.
1) Write 3 new things you are grateful for in your spouse.
2) Write 10 new things you are grateful for. These can be anything, but it’s helpful if you focus on the opportunities and things you get to do that day. It can range from someone you get to meet or making breakfast for your kids
End of the day recap – Make this the last thing you do before you sleep.
1) Write 3 new things that you’ve never experienced before that happened to you today. This is the big one! Most of us think every day is the same, but it is not! There are many small things that we never notice and thus miss out on life. A “new” thing can be a new prospect you never talked to, or something as simple as me sitting on the window seat of the new Boeing Dreamliner jet as I’m writing this. It’s my first time in one of these new jets.
2) Write 10 more things you are grateful for. These can be anything, but it’s helpful if you focus on what happened during the day and or include what you have to do tomorrow.Focus on what happened during the day and or include what you have to do tomorrow. Click To Tweet
Remember the time…
- No matter how tough things may be, be grateful for your current situation, because there was a time when you would have wished to be where you are!
- Life and business can be tough, but if you take the time to be grateful for your journey, this business will be more fun and you’ll be motivated to keep going and enjoy the process.
- In your life journey always remember, “Success is a letdown, but the thrill is in the pursuit!”
Simon Chan is an MLM trainer and helps distributors find better prospects, sponsor more people and create duplication. He’s also the founder of MLM NATION and the #1 MLM training on iTunes.